Wednesday 1 June 2011

Camels and Cantelopes

I was at a Sistapreneurs meeting this week and a visitor said to me "oh you knit like I do" which took me awhile to decide if it was complimentary or not. I was taught to knit by my Father and I've never managed to be able to knit like my Grandma and all the clever older women in my life who can, like magic flick the wool around their needles without taking their hands off them. I have tried and tried unsuccessfully and all I have achieved is a mess of knots and tangles. I've been reading a book this week called Things I Learned From Knitting by Stephanie Pearl- McPhee, I love the humour and the ability to laugh at ourselves. The quote that has set me free this week is "The act of knitting is unlike almost any other human activity in that two people who are as different as camels and cantaloupes can take the same pattern and the same yarn and do their own thing with it, and they both can walk away happy".........."There's more than one right way to knit, and you don't have to be perfect or even good at knitting to have it work out for you. That's pretty unusual, because there really aren't a whole lot of other hobbies where you can relax, be imperfect, and still have a wonderful time..... just ask rock climbers"
  I love that idea that I can use the same yarn and pattern as someone else and can knit with my individual unco-ordinated 'skill' and still end up with an item that I am proud of.

I live in a town where the only felted knitted items you are likely to find are in the local op shop because someone hasn't read the washing instructions on their clothing properly.  It will be interesting to see the reactions when I felt the bangles and necklaces i have knitted and display the lacy knitted coffee cup sleeve and the knitted wire and beaded bangle. But in the meantime I will keep reading Stephanie's books and blog http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/ and keep gaining confidence and feel her cheering me on, even while hearing my son say "you are NOT taking your knitting!"
OH YES I AM!!
Till next time I wish you the finest yarns and no unintentional dropped stitches

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.