Saturday 11 June 2011

Recapturing creativity

I've been having a very frustrating few weeks, where I just cant seem to settle and complete a project. Actually I've hardly been starting them, I'm not sure how many times I've cast on and then 'frogged' it, you know (rip it, rip it, rip it - as row after row comes undone) or 'tinked' it (knit backwards, as in undo what I've stuffed up). I was starting to feel really down about my creativity going out the window and getting sidetracked doing lots of not much. 

                                          BUT then........



I had a panicked phone call the other day from a friend , the mother of our adopted grandson with the news that the person who was booked to make the birthday cake cancelled. I said to her don't worry we will make it, forgetting that young Stanley had 'ordered' a blue t-rex dinosaur cake. Well I made a hurried visit to my dear friend 'Mr Google' for inspiration. I then had a vision in my head of how the cake was going to look, I was a bit worried when my middle child didn't catch the same vision at all, and kept looking at me with that 'you are out of your mind' look. Well much to my relief the cake on the plate ended up the same as the vision in my head. Stanley thought it was wonderful as did his mother and all the family and friends that were there for his 4th birthday party. But most importantly to me, I felt that creativity creeping back.


It's been very cold here in North-West Tasmania but today was spectacular, the sun was out and the sky was clear. Absolutely perfect day so we also took our aspiring photographer Mikayla to a few locations to do some snapping, check out her photos http://www.redbubble.com/people/mikaylahouse I am so proud of her!! Mikayla is visually impaired (actually legally blind) and yet her creativity shines through in her captures

So after all that ramble the point I'm trying to make is that if I feel my creativity dwindling I WILL look to the enthusiasm of the 'little people' in my life, with their blunt honesty and imagination intact and to my creative daughter who defies her 'disability' at every click of the camera. I also will not let pain, fog and all the other annoying symptoms of Fibromyalgia dampen my creativity. If you read this and wonder if I'm actually creating something feel free to question, I think I'm going to need the accountability :)
After all this I'm off to sit near the fire and Knit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.